Deviant Anomaly

a·nom·a·ly (-nm-l) n. pl. a·nom·a·lies 1. Deviation or departure from the normal or common order, form, or rule. 2. One that is peculiar, irregular, abnormal, or difficult to classify

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydneyish, New South Wales, Australia

Uhhhhhm... I'm a random collection of impulses, oddities and whims in the shape of a girl. Either a wit or a half-wit (depending on who you ask) and mainly notorious for leaving everything vaguely educational to the last minute, then making a half-assed attempt at getting it done that somehow fools the markers into thinking I have any idea what I'm talking about. Oh, and the rubber-chicken incident. But 'nuff said about that. I live in a small town outside a bigger town outside a small city outside a bigger city outside Oz's biggest city... which is still pretty small as cities go, or so I hear. Backwater of the South Pacific? I guess, so – but it’s okay here. Or its. I can never work out which one that is. Meh. ANYway, moving right along – I’m in first-year Uni (Freshman Year to the Yanks) studying communications of all things (yeah right, like I need any help in learning to talk?) and as of second semester this year I’ve moved out of home, now living in a small room of a small house in the aforementioned small town. With three other peeps, exactly one and a half of which are small. Want to know more? Just ask – I’m out of space.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Enter the Dad

The first Sunday of September each year is Father's Day here in Australia. Basically we spend the day thanking our long-suffering fathers for all the grief we put them through the rest of the year, maybe give them small gifts and overall just try to take care of them for a change. In 2006, that day is today.

This Father's Day's one of the more interesting I've had in... well... ever. As I mentioned earlier, my dad died last year, though my mother recently remarried (in June). So... the day for me started off with visiting my dad's grave in the early morning. We always used to have this tradition of giving presents on birthdays and christmas (well, apart from the Tree Presents) really early, all sitting on my parents' big queen-size bed? So I thought it was only right to go as early as I could to give him his present and... just to spend some time with him I guess?

Still went to my mother's for a late breakfast (blueberry pancakes with maple syrup, mmm!), meeting up with Jason and his girlfriend (Taylor). More congratses were had, and we teased Jase that by this time next year we'd be giving him chocolate too!

He seemed somewhat stunned by that - apparently it hadn't occured to him yet, though Taylor laughed.

Gave my step-dad (in no particular order) a hug, a giftcard from my work and one of those larger Toblerone bars (750g or something like that?). He gave me (same no particular order) a hug, a hair-ruffle and told me it was always good to see me. And it was good to see him, too - though he'll never take the place of my dad with me, we get on well enough. Much hanging out and barbequed lunch ensued, though I begged off dinner. Lovergirl asked me to go with her to meet her parents at dinner (moral support I guess), which means I should really start getting ready soon - but I'm in a reflective mood so I'm just sitting here now, thinking about my dad.

Who was he? My dad was the warm pair of knees when I was a little one, the giver of big hugs and the solver of all ills - from what to do when my budgie wasn't eating its seed, to why exactly I couldn't multiply 2 by 1 and get three (blame it on my bad handwriting). The man who told me that a warm smile wasn't always a sign of undying love, and the man who picked me back up when I went on to find that out for myself. Always there for me when I needed him (and I did).

I miss you, daddy.

Happy Father's Day.

6 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Oh my God, this entry made me so sad! It's a beautiful, lovely tribute to your dad who sounds great. I understand completely -- my dad died a couple of years ago and it's still a horrible pain. I love your description of the grave and the following breakfast and the humor of your brother starting to realize he'll be a father by this time, next year. Here's to a good night and you're sweet to be such a good friend to go give moral support to Lovergirl!

12:15 am  
Blogger thethinker said...

Sometimes we take for granted the people that we've always had in our lives. We don't take enough time to appreciate what's right in front of us and your entry made me realize that. Even though Father's Day in the U.S. was awhile back, I still need to remember to take time to admire my dad the way you seem to admire yours. It's great that you're still so optimistic and upbeat. Keep that up.

3:19 am  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

Here's to Father's Day, which you've proven can be any day of the week. Cheers! And God Bless.

4:32 am  
Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Anomaly, that's so sweet. Here's to all the Dads past and present. Mine survived a massive heart attack last year and quadruple bypass surgery, so we're especially grateful nowadays. Cheers and all good wishes.

5:19 am  
Blogger Jamie said...

That was very beautiful and poignant.

-Jamie

7:28 am  
Blogger JAM said...

It's wonderful that you honored your Father that way. And you further honored him by moving forward and having as good a day as possible with your family and friends.

I have known many adults over the years who take every opportunity, such as Father's Day, any Holiday for that matter, to curl up in a ball and have a pity party all day.

At the risk of sounding like an old fogey, it blesses me to see someone as young as you to show both respect for those you love but have passed away AND those still around, and to appreciate them and what they mean to you.

4:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home